Are leaders born, or are they made?Effective leadership doesn’t come naturally for most of us. Luckily, you can learn leadership, and there are several ways you can use to develop, build, and refine your leadership skills.
Discover the leader in you! Try these techniques to boost your leadership skills:1. Strive for excellence. Part of being a successful leader is your ability to set the bar for yourself and others. Leaders never stop learning. You can be a good role model by continually seeking ways to improve yourself and aspire to excellence.
- A hallmark of leadership is excellence. Work on honing your existing skills and developing new ones. Always be learning.
- Set goals where you are able to check-in and measure your performance and progress.
- Break up larger goals into smaller ones so that you can celebrate your successes and maintain your motivation.
- Learn to identify and use all of your resources in the pursuit of your goals. When making action plans to reach your goals, always work with the resources you currently have available. Rather than developing strategies and plans based on resources and circumstances that you wish were reality.
- Be willing to refine your plans and ultimate goals based on your progress as well as your dreams.
- Learn how to listen. Doing so helps to establish a connection, builds relationships and trust, so others are more likely to follow your lead and help you.
- Help others to be their best. Being a good leader is motivating and inspiring others towards positive change and supporting them in reaching their goals and dreams.
- Seek input from others when discussing goals and plans to reach your objectives. Don’t be a know it all. Give others a stake in the results by seeking their opinion and ideas. They’ll be more motivated to help you. But remember, don’t ask unless you plan on following up.
- Maintaining an upbeat attitude and giving your best effort helps to energize the entire team, so everyone can accomplish more together, regardless of the circumstances.
Rebecca Morgan, PhD, is an award-winning former Disney leader and founder of The Awesome Leader League (T.A.L.L.), the ultimate collection of leadership skills, strategies, tools, and resources to lead the team everyone wants to be on while skyrocketing your career. Without EVER being a soul-sucking “boss-hole.” Join us here.